Kosha Mangsho

Bengali Style Mutton Curry

Kosha Mangsho


Any curry that's fried or should I say simmered for quite a while is considered to be kosha. As in hindi we would say भुन्ना  (Bhuna) . In Bengali they would say Koshano as in fried well and the end results expected to be a little dry. However I like a bit of gravy I add water right at the end to adjust gravy according to my needs. My secret to making a great Kosha Mangsho is nothing but frying it and giving the meat the time it needs to cook and coriander powder, and last but not the least my non stick kadai. I know it doesn't sound like it should matter but everytime I make it in my non stick kadai the results been amazing. The other times not so much. The dish gets a lot of depth from the coriander powder aswell, if you see the recipe that's the spice that's been used most in quantity but don't go overboard or all you will taste is powdery dhaniya tasting mutton and we don't want that now, do we?

In general ever since I got married I make mutton with mustard oil only. I feel that the pungent flavor of mustard oil gives mutton a more taste. You could use refined oil but mustard oil would give you the true flavor and trust me it doesn't over power the dish. when you do heat the oil just heat until you see steam coming out of it and then you are good to go.

Now for its accompniant I always make this with Mishti Pulao. Together it tastes out of this world, you would think that something sweet and spicy wouldn't taste that great but surprisingly it does. I have made this tons of times for guests for family and friends and its always worked. I mean the biggest test for me was to get my mum to try it and she loved it. For those who don't know my mum she isn't very experimental and is fussy with her food and to my delight she loved it and was just as surprised as me about the sweet and spicy flavor combo.

Do try it and I hope you enjoy it just as much as I did.



Ingredients

 500 grams mutton
2 medium-large onions thinely sliced
2 medium tomatoes chopped
1/2 cup curd
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
chilli powder 1and 1/2 teaspoon
turmeric/haldi 1 teaspoon
coriander powder 2-3 tablespoon
cumin/jeera powder 1/2 tablespoon
garam masala powder 1 tablespoon
4 cloves
1 big piece of cinnamon bark
2 tej patha/bay leaves
2 black elaichi/cardamom
2 green elaichi/cardamom
4 peppercorns
salt to taste
3-4 tablespoon mustard oil
sugar 1/2 tablespoon

Method
 
Heat oil to smoking point in a kadai now add all the whole masalas and let them crackle for 5-8 seconds. Then add the sliced onions and fry until they turn a nice golden brown.







 Now at this stage add the mutton and ginger garlic paste and fry well on high and then close lid and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.








Open the lid and put in all the powder masalas except the garam masala and fry again for about a minute then close the lid again and let it simmer on low flme for about another 2 minutes.





After the masalas are fried add the tomatoes and fry for about 1-2 minutes on high along with salt. cover and let it simmer until tomatoes completely melt and oil starts seeping thru. Give it about 7-10 minutes.






Once the tomatoes melt completely pour in the curd and combine with meat but on low flame, then cover and let it simmer for about 8-10 minutes again.

Let it simmer until oil is seen and its very fragrant. At this point check if the meat is atleast 80% done, if yes then you can add about 1/4 cup water so you get a little gravy.
Now if you feel your meat isn't close too being that cooked then add 1/2- 3/4 cup water and cover and let it simmer for another 10-15 minutes. In between add the sugar to deepen the colour. And once the meats done take off heat and garnish with garam masala powder and chopped dhaniya.







Ideally I always serve this with Mishti Pulao, but it tastes great with rotis, plain rice or any other pulao aswell.









 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts