Tandoori Sarson Aloo





 

Tandoori Sarson Aloo

Mustard Potatoe Kababs




I still remember the first time I made these tandoori aloos. It was for a party a few years ago, my mum had sent me loads of gulf news Good Food books. So while I was deciding on the menu I hit these books for something interesting. that's when I stumbled over this recipe and thought why not?

 Of course me being me I wasn't going to follow the recipe to the "T". These are the changes I did make :  I had a bottle of kasundi which i hardly had used so just used that instead of  mustard paste and mustard powder that was told in the recipe, and the next change was after the seasoning /chowk /vagarne and add potatoes and boil till done then marinate and bake. I however felt that cooking the potatoes along with everything would give it greater flavor and add some depth, and how it did. ever since then that's how I have been making it and have got the best compliments for it. I also only use grated ginger because the day  I was making it I dint have any garlic around, the recipe calls for ginger garlic paste. So its completely upto you how you would like to change things around.

the only advise i would give is for the marinade time the longer it remains marinated the more flavorful the outcome. so i definitely would suggest you make it a day before you actually need this dish. and its great for a party because the prep can be done in advance so less work for the  day. and who doesn't eat potatoes and a very good veg starter instead of the regular paneer, mushroom and baby corn options. and best of all its just yummy.





Ingredients

250 grams Baby potatoes or small sized potatoes (you can use normal potatoes just cut then into big chunks)
1/4 cup tablespoon curd
1 tablespoon ginger grated
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
3-4 tablespoon mustard paste or  kasundi (you could add more according to your taste)
1/2 teaspoon chopped green chilli
1/2 teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
1/2 teaspoon yellow chili powder or yellow chilli powder
turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
1 tablespoon garam masala
mustard oil 3 tablespoon
1 cup water
dhaniya chopped for garnish

Method

Clean and wash the potatoes, I don't peel them but if you want you could peel them, its a personal preference.
In a kadai heat mustard oil to smoking point, add hing and mustard seeds and once they stop spluttering add grated ginger and stir a little. Then toss the potatoes in with salt and fry really well for about 3-4 minutes. Now add chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala powder, green chilli, and kasundi, fry well for about 2 minutes then lower the flame and pour in the curd and mix well. When the potatoes are simmering check for the final taste and adjust as needed. Then add around 1 cup water and let the potatoes cook without a lid until done and garnish with dhaniya leaves. Take off heat and let it cool and marinate overnight. Next day heat your oven to the highest temperature and fish out the potatoes and place in a baking dish and bake fat 150-180 c depending on your oven for about 15minutes. Serve warm with raita or chutney.






























Comments

Popular Posts