Beaten Rice Manglorean Style

Bajeel

This is a long over due post, that was meant to happen during Diwali. Why Diwali? you would ask..well because Bajeel is eaten for breakfast in every Manglorean household. However this year we were relocating cities so my Diwali really did not go how it usually does and now after all this time I have many recipes that I did make while in Delhi but never got to post. So mostly the next 20 so posts are all from my Delhi days it gives me a slight relief since I still haven't gotten settled completely. Now enough about me and a bit more about Bajeel. Its a Manglorean dish that I  have been eating with smashed bananas (infact I still do) its healthy and filling and best of all very easy to prepare. Hardly takes 10-12 minutes tops, And my daughter loves it ever since she learnt to chew...(for those of you with little kids I know you understand). The only catch with this is finding really thin beaten rice, no matter what dont use thick beaten rice like you would for poha because that does not work. 

Ingredients

Paper thin beaten rice 2 1/2 cups
Sugar 4 tablespoons
chilli powder 1/2 teaspoon
haldi/turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
salt to taste
coconut grated 1/2-3/4 cup

For seasoning

oil 1-2 tablespoon
mustard seeds 1/2 teaspoon
curry leaves 7-10

Method

Take all the ingredients in a big bowl to and mix well. Now for the seasoning heat oil in a pan once hot put in the mustard seeds once they finish spluttering add in the curry leaves in 3-4 seconds take this seasoning off the heat and pour over the beaten rice mixture in the bowl. Check for salt and sugar, adjust if necessary. While serving you could slice up banana over the mix or for a more authentic feel smash as much banana as needed (I just use one banana per person) and make a big soft ball and enjoy.







Comments

Popular Posts